Cause of death released in death of 17-year-old at hog site

Press Release
Re: Death Investigation from 04-19-2021

On Monday, April 19, at about 9:10 p.m., the Kossuth County Sheriff's Office responded to 407 390th St., rural Swea City, for a person found unconscious at a hog site building. That person was identified as 17-year-old Victoria Marie Parra Lerdo of Rockwell City. Victoria was pronounced dead at Kossuth Regional Health Center that evening and an autopsy was performed on April 21 by the Iowa Medical Examiners Office in Ankeny.

The results of the autopsy have been released to the Kossuth County Sheriff's Office and the Iowa Medical Examiners Office ruled that the manner of death was an accident and the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.

Investigation at the scene revealed that a power washer unit was being operated within the hallway area of the building near where the victim was working. Due to inadequate ventilation within a small area, the victim was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

The Swea City Ambulance, Algona EMS, Kossuth Regional Health Center, Kossuth County Medical Examiner, and the Iowa Medical Examiners Office all assisted the Kossuth County Sheriff's Office in this case.
 

Kossuth County Advance

14 E. Nebraska St.

Algona, IA 50511  

Phone: (515) 295-3535

Fax: (515) 295-7217

news@algona.com

ads@algona.com

circulation@algona.com

www.algona.com

www.facebook.com/hallmarkintegratedmedia/

Comment Here