A grave marker a century in the making
In 1966, brothers Alvin and Wilbert Ruhnke each received a letter from the cemetery board for St. John’s Lutheran Church in Fenton, asking if the Otto Ruhnke family would like to give a donation for the cemetery’s upkeep. The cemetery records showed that Otto and Alma Ruhnke, parents of Alvin and Wilbert, had an infant born in 1920 who was buried in that cemetery. By this time, the parents were deceased, and nothing had ever been mentioned to any of the other children, Alvin, Wilbert, Elmer, Lorna or Edward). It was a surprise for the whole family.
Get the full story in the Oct. 8 Kossuth County Advance.